Tuesday, January 15, 2013

{cultivating creativity}


It is a very rare occassion that I get to spend one-on-one time with my boys.

Don't get me wrong, I love being with both of them, but the rare moment when it is just me + Ben or me + Landon is really special.

Last night, Dan needed to go to the grocery and Landon wanted to go, but Ben wanted to stay home, so I had over an hour of really special bonding time with my Benny.

What was the first thing he wanted to do? Break out his new water color set. Of course this put a HUGE smile on my face because any time I see the boys' creativity come out it makes me so proud and excited that they want to make things.  

I don't know where they get this from. *wink*

This was the first time Ben had painted with water colors but he was a pro from the first stroke of the brush.


He cranked out at least five paintings and each one was unique and beautiful. I got tears in my eyes as I watched his little hand dip the brush in the water, and then carefully in each individual pot of color.

He described what he was painting to me as he went along...."this is a rainbow Mom"..."this is a brachiosauraus!"..."It is fantastic!"


He was so thoughtful about his brush strokes and how he mixed the colors. I don't think I've loved a moment alone with him more than watching him paint last night. I could see the pride in his little eyes as I told him what a great painter he was, and how much I loved his creations.

Isn't that one of our most important jobs as parents? Cultivating our children's talents? Encouraging them...praising them...planting a seed of "you are great at that!" in their little minds? I know that I wouldn't be the almost fearless creator I am now if my parents hadn't done the same thing with me.

I can't wait to grab a few pictures frames and display his masterpieces in the house. You can't put a price on this kind of art.

post signature

1 comment:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Awwwww this is so special. Love that you captured this moment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...